Performing the Upgrade
- The first thing you want to do when upgrading from the trial is to replace the core encrypted PHP files. To do this, login to the client area and download the SocialEngine 4.x.x file. Once downloaded, extract the contents of the socialengine4.x.x.zip file and upload the files to your website root directory. You will need to overwrite all the existing files in order to replace them with their unencrypted versions.
- Once the core files have been replaced, you will need to run any necessary SQL queries to upgrade your trial database. Start by downloading the SE4 Upgrade(4.x → 4.x.x) package from the client area. Then, login to your SocialEngine admin and go to Manage → Packages & Plugins. Click on the "Install New Packages" link and begin uploading the socialengine4.x.x.tar file to your site.
*** NOTE: Some configurations of PHP have file upload size limitations that preclude the use of the Package Manager to upload large package files. If you experience any difficulties uploading the package file using the Package Manager, try uploading the files using a FTP client to the ./temporary/package/archives directory and setting the permissions of the files to 777. Go back to the Package Manager upload page and refresh the page. The Package Manager should detect the packages and begin extracting them.
- Follow the instructions provided by the Package Manager to complete the upgrade of the SocialEngine core packages.
- Once your core packages are successfully upgraded, go back to the client area and download any plugin packages that are available to you. Next, using the Package Manager, upload the package files and follow the directions to install them.
*** NOTE: You will need to install the plugins twice in order to update the encrypted files and then update the database.
- The trial will have installed all of our plugins for you to try. Before completing the upgrade, disable any trial plugins that you did not purchase from us to avoid any problems. You can do this from the home page of the Package Manager.
- Using an FTP client, rename the license.txt file to license_old.txt and load your website in your browser. If you receive an error regarding a missing license.txt file, this is an indictor that there are still encrypted trial files that are active on your website. Review the above steps to ensure that the purchased trial plugins were successfully upgraded, and that all un-purchased plugin files were appropriately disabled.
- If after renaming the license.txt file you do not receive any errors, you can remove the license_old.txt file as you have successfully upgraded from the trial.
- Finally, you will need to update your license key in your admin panel from your trial key to your purchased license key. To do this you can either update the license key through the admin panel or via a MySQL command.
Updating the License Key from the Admin PanelYou can update the database by logging into your admin panel and on the home page on the right hand side under Quick Stats, you should click on the "Update License Key" .
It should then bring up the following modal allowing you to enter your new license key:
Click on the Save button after entering your new license key.
Updating the License Key from a MySQL commandYou will need to execute the following SQL query on your database:
UPDATE `engine4_core_settings` SET value='1234-1234-1234-1234' WHERE `name`='core.license.key' LIMIT 1;
Be sure to replace "1234-1234-1234-1234" in the above query with your license key. To execute the query, you will need to use a MySQL database management tool like phpMyAdmin, which most hosting providers include in their control panel software.