Search the Knowledgebase
Browse by Category
Before proceeding with this tutorial, please ensure that your server meets the minimum requirements required for SocialEngine, you have a valid SocialEngine license, FTP access to your website and access to a MySQL database.
Where to get SocialEngine
You can download a copy of SocialEngine from the client area of our website: http://www.socialengine.com/sign-in
- Create a directory on your server where SocialEngine will be placed (e.g. "/socialnetwork") or, if you wish, you can simply use your existing HTTP root directory (e.g. "/httpdocs", "/public_html").
- Download the SocialEngine4 ZIP file and extract it's contents to your computer.
- Upload all the extracted files to your server.
- Point your browser to the directory where your SocialEngine files were uploaded (e.g. "http://www.example.com/socialnetwork", "http://www.example.com").
Step 1: Enter your License Key
Enter your SocialEngine license key and click Continue.
Step 2: Check Requirements
Most of the requirements listed on this page should already be meet if your server meets the minimum requirements required by SocialEngine. If your server does not meet the minimum requirements, please contact your hosting provider.
If you are using a Unix server (or Unix variant, like Linux, OS X, FreeBSD, etc.), 777 permissions must be applied to the following directories:
/install/config /temporary /public /application/themes /application/packages /application/languages /application/settings/
To apply permissions to these directories manually login over FTP and recursively set the permissions of the directories listed above to 777. To have SocialEngine set the permissions for these directories automatically, click on the "do it automatically" link.
Select your connection type.
If you select FTP/FTPS as your connection type, enter your FTP information and click Continue.
NOTE: If you are not sure what the path is to your SocialEngine installation directory, set the FTP Path to "/" and select "Search for SocialEngine Path". The installation wizard will automatically find the correct file path to your SocialEngine installation directory.
If you select None as your connection type, enter the path to your SocialEngine installation directory click Continue.
After SocialEngine has found and set the necessary permissions, click the Retry Requirements Test button to check the requirement once more.
If all requirements have been meet, click the Continue button to proceed to step 3.
Step 3: Setup MySQL Database
Enter your MySQL database information and click Continue.
If SocialEngine is able to connect to your database, click the Continue button to proceed.
If SocialEngine is able to create your database tables successfully, click the Continue button to proceed to step 4.
Step 4: Create Admin Account
Enter the name of your SocialEngine website, profile information and click Continue.
Don't feel comfortable performing the steps above? We offer an installation service that can be purchased either during your initial order or through the client store in the client area. Once your order has been processed, you will be able to configure your installation request via the client area. Please allow 24-48 hours after you submit your request for us to perform the installation.
- install_step2_2.png (6,930 bytes)
- install_step2.png (80,968 bytes)
- install_step1.png (29,266 bytes)
- install_done.png (15,702 bytes)
- install_step2_4.png (49,153 bytes)
- install_step2_3.png (13,505 bytes)
- install_step4.png (31,461 bytes)
- install_step3.png (13,851 bytes)
- install_step3_3.png (5,710 bytes)
- install_step2_2_2.png (34,287 bytes)
- install_step3_2.png (10,702 bytes)
- install_step2_2_3.png (12,670 bytes)
22nd of March, 2012